DIY: Pillowcase Perfection in Under One Hour

Wednesday, April 8, 2015


I may or may not have had this fabric for close to two years with promises to my son that I would make him Star Wars pillows for his bed.  I'm finally making good on that promise.  I had some Yo Gabba Gabba fabric I intended for a baby blanket that is now no longer needed for the youngest, so a pillow it is for her too!

Here is what you'll need:

- One yard of fabric for each pillowcase 
- Basic sewing supplies:  scissors, coordinating thread, ruler, etc.



INSTRUCTIONS

Prep your fabric.  Wash and iron the fabric so it is easier to work with.  I know, I know, extra work that keeps you from starting the project sooner.  I've skipped this step many a times because I'm impatient, but it truly does help.  Heck, you will rarely ever see me even get an iron out for my own clothes, but nicely pressed fabric is A LOT easier to work with.  



- Take your yard of fabric and square it up (even all the sides up).  Now take it and fold it in half so that you have 20 inches on one side (selvedges together).  Then make a cut at 27 inches on the other side. This will leave you with about a 9 inch piece, like the image above.  This will be your pillowcases fringe.


Now take that 9 inch piece and fold it in half making it about 4.5 inches by 40 inches.  Press the folded edge.  



Next, unfold that main piece and line up and pin the fringe to the right side of the main piece (one of the 40 inch sides).  Raw edges together.


Zigzag the raw edges together so that it won't unravel and get messy when washing.




Open and fold over the fringe to the right side and top stitch the seam allowance to the main fabric so it lays flat nicely.  


Next, fold the fabric right sides together, pin and then sew together the side and the bottom (or top if looking at my picture) with a 1/4 in seam.  This leaves the fringe side open for your pillow. 


Zig zag stitch or use pinking shears to cut the edges of the two sides you just sewed along the seam allowance so that it won't unravel during washes.  Then flip it inside out and you have your pillowcase!



As you can see it's Haddie approved.


No comments:

Post a Comment